Spirit 1.0 Evo electric outboard motors – recharge under sail
The 48 volt Spirit 1.0 Evo and 1.0 Evo Remote is the first ever electric outboard motor the comes with integrated regenerative charging. Significantly, this innovative hydrogenation means the outboard can be recharged when you are under sail. So this adds to its all-round environmentally sustainable credentials.
The Spirit 1.0 Evo is ideal for cruising or racing sail boats as well as tenders and day boats. Switching to an electric outboard has many benefits, for example:
- reduces any need for fuel tanks
- removes chance of oily bilges or fuel smells
- easy to assemble & light to carry in two parts
- quick & clean to store onboard or in your car
- you can hear clearly without having to shout
Launched in 2021, the Spirit 1.0 Evo has a similar range and specification as the Spirit 1.0 Plus.
Power and range
The Spirit 1.0 Evo has the power to easily match a 3hp, 4 stroke petrol outboard. It can propel a 10ft tender and a day sailer or sports boat up to 1.5 tonnes. Although it’s range will vary depending on wind, sea and & tide conditions, you can expect this level of performance:
- full throttle: 1.15 hrs of run time.
- 4.5 mph: continuous 5 hrs run time, up to 22 miles
Flexible remote controls
The Spirit 1.0 Evo Remote has the added option to:
- remove the tiller
- add an interchangeable wired or wireless controller and remote control
As a result, this makes it a highly flexible electric outboard, for use across a variety of different boats.
The fold-down and removable tiller is perfect for sailing boats and sportsboats such as a J70 or Melges 24. In addition, the remote controls can be easily fitted to either a tender console or inside a motorboat cockpit.
Control systems for Spirit 1.0 Evo
- 3.2″ real time display
- mounted easily in any cockpit
- ideal for sailing & motor boats
- sleek, low clutter
- remote controller with forward/reverse speed
- console mounted control
- console mounted
- remote control
- stepless forward & reverse speed and heading control
- 105° rotatable grip for excellent manoeuvrability
- LED screen read out – range, speed, time & energy consumption
Rechargable electric outboard motors when under sail
The Spirit 1.0 Evo can recharge its own battery for even more sustainable sailing.
Once you are sailing at 4 knots boat speed, with the outboard propeller in the water, the hydrogeneration system kicks in and creates about 40w of power.
The power regeneration increases as boat speed increases up to a level 10 knots.
At this speed you achieve around 330 watts of recharging power. At the same time as sailing, the additional energy is stored in the batteries for future motoring.
Above 10 knots the system goes into protection mode, staying at around 330 watts of power regeneration. This protects the batteries from any damage.
The Spirit 1.0 Evo is super easy to use, carry and store:
- floating battery is easy to install and secure on the shaft
- simply plug in the cable & attach the key fob
- press button to start – there’s no effort pulling starter cables
- twist the handle to go forwards or backwards
- tilt the engine up when not in use to reduce drag.
- back light on display screen for easy night-time boating
Two year warranty
Register your new outboard for it’s full warranty cover.
Spirit 1.0 Evo electric outboard motors – Technical Specifications
The Spirit 1.0 Evo and remote models have similar performance characteristics to the Spirit 1.0 Plus. With the addition of hydrogeneration recharging under sail, remote control options and removable tiller.
The chart below gives a quick comparison between each model of Spirit 1.0 electric motors.
|Quick comparison||Spirit 1.0 Plus outboard||Spirit 1.0 Evo with tiller||Spirit 1.0 Evo + remote control|
|Power ||1 kWh
|Equivalent power||3 hp|
|Integrated battery capacity||1276 Wh|
|Control system||Integrated tiller||Evo Tiller||Evo options:
Remote control wireless
Dual mount remote control
- Extra short
includes Evo Tiller
Includes remote kit
- Extra short
|Trim / tilt angle||manual, 0°, 7°, 14°, 21°
|Propeller||11″ × 5.8″ 2-blade composite propeller|
|Battery capacity||1276 Wh|
|Battery weight||8.7 kg|
|Battery life||500 cycles at 80% DoD|
|Hydro generation recharging||N/A||Yes||Yes
|Solar, mains & 12 v recharging||Yes|
|Motor control method||Field oriented control|
|Cooling - motor & control units||Natural cooling|
|Max overall efficiency||55%|
|Input voltage||39 V - 60 V|
|Rated RPM - propeller speed||1200 rpm|
|Gear ratio||N / A|
|Static thrust||316 N / 71 lbs|
|3rd party battery compatible||Yes|
Evo safety wristband & remote control
The easy-to-use, wearable safety wrist band is fully waterproof. The wristband connects with the Evo Tiller or the Evo Top mount controls.
And, it allows you remote steering and operation, so that you can move freely around the boat. It’s a safety aid too. In a MOB situation (man overboard) you can simply cut the engine!
- fully waterproof, rated IP67
- connect up to 8 wrist bands per outboard motor